• To date we have 34 confirmed WW2 military trucks with another 16 joining along the way travelling to Greenham Common in the convoy.
• I have 25 confirmed RBL Riders taking part in the convoy
• Vehicles/Bikes can arrive at the carparks outside MOD Southwick from 08:00 on Saturday 22nd June – Myself and a couple of others will be onsite to direct traffic as it arrives. I am going to suggest meeting at Monster Micks beforehand to grab a bite/drink and ride down together.
• JEEP are one of the sponsors of this event so there will be a couple of brand new jeeps in the convoy behind the escort bikes.
• There is a General Eisenhower lookalike taking part in this event and will be travelling from Southwick to Greenham in the convoy. The guest of honour is a lady called Marion Loveland who was a WREN at Collingwood on D-Day……………she was the Communications number between the Fleet and HQ, she also lost her fiance on Sword Beach that day.
• Before the convoy 12 of the trucks and 6 of the bikes will be chosen to go up to Southwick House for photos. Vehicles will be chosen on the day so I need your details and your bike details beforehand to pass onto the organiser just in case you and your bike need to go up to the house.
• There will be a short service lead by the Riders Bish……..Paul Miles Knight
• Due to the amount of vehicles involved the convoy is going to be split into two sticks with a delay of 5 to 10 mins between the two departing.
• We have permission from Hampshire Police and Thames Valley Police to block roundabouts and junctions to get the convoy through with as little disruption as possible. All Riders will wear Hi-viz on the ride.
• There will be an Auster Aircraft flying over the convoy taking pictures/filming on the day (subject to weather)
• Timings are subject to change but at the moment they are as follows:-
Southwick Park Arrive from 0800
Depart 1000 to 1030
Lasham Airfield Arrive 1145
Milestones Museum Arrive 1300
Sandford Springs Arrive 1430
Greenham Common Arrive 1545
• The only addition to the timings is that Greenham is not the last stop and we will be going onto Newbury College afterwards for refreshments.
• The stop at Greenham will entail a drop in by the Poppy Parachute Team to symbolise the return of the troops who called Greenham their home (Subject to weather)
• Please fly flags on the day if you have them……….preferably the Union Flag and/or the Stars and Stripes (48 Star version)
• Even though I insist on Hi-Viz on the ride you are more than welcome to wear your Riders Cut at any or all of the stops.
Copy and paste the following and you ‘should’ see a copy of the route as it is right now: https://goo.gl/maps/U1amnmtjda42
My aim of the day is to get the convoy to Greenham Common together and to keep every Rider safe.